Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dinosaurs? Hmmm . . .

Well, we made it through the first week of school without any mishaps. Meredith seems to really like middle school, with rotation and her new locker. She’s walking there and back on her own and she really likes that too. On Friday though, she called me on her way home to ask for a ride. They had to run in gym which was last period and she said her legs were too tired to walk home. Poor baby. I’m a sucker. I went to get her. Isobel hasn’t really had much to say about school but she certainly isn’t giving me any trouble about going so I have to assume its all okay. I know she likes her teacher. She is insisting on walking by herself in the mornings. She sees Meredith do it and wants to do it too. I am slowly becoming redundant. That seems to happen eventually no matter what type of work you do. I’ll need to revamp my skills and seek a promotion

Today we went into Toronto to visit the ROM. We got ourselves a family membership, which is a fantastic deal, and that’s going to be our ‘don’t-know-what-to-do” activity for the next 12 months. We had a great time, but the Dinosaurs disturbed me a little bit. I mean, when you really think about it, doesn’t it seem a little too much like a bad movie that these larger than life creatures existed? And really, how do you know they actually did? What if paleontology is actually a secret society dedicated to perpetuating the myth of the dinosaur, just like some of the myths parents tell their children? All the information there is quite detailed about how aggressive they were and what they ate and how they lived. But I just don’t know how we can know this stuff for sure. I’m not sure I really believe it. I think I’m a bit of a skeptic. It just got me thinking and that is never a good thing!

No comments: