Thursday, December 4, 2008

Podcast, anyone?

I have discovered podcasts.

I know I am late to the game – I usually am – but once I catch on to something, I’m like a dog with a bone and I just can’t let it go.

So, here’s the story. A few weeks ago, I tried to “borrow” an audio book from an online library. I was convinced that if I had an audio book on my iPod, it would pave the road for an enjoyable workout at the gym. If only enjoying a workout was that easy. Anyway, I managed to download the book to my computer but couldn’t get it onto my iPod, so, I didn’t even go to the gym. It was, of course, the audio books fault. “So”, I thought to myself, “what other interesting things could I listen to while I worked out?” I cruised around iTunes a little bit and found myself in the podcast section. There were podcasts from my favourite author, Diana Gabaldon, and they were free. So, I downloaded them, fully intending to listen while I rowed and sweated my way to a fitter, more wonderful me at the gym. Well, something else happened (I can’t even remember what, right now) but it was so important at the time, that I couldn’t possibly make it to the gym and I promptly forgot that I had downloaded all these wonderful podcasts.

On Monday, I remembered them. My iPod is full and I had to really mess around with it to get the music I wanted loaded and that’s when I rediscovered my lovely podcasts. I was at home, and I really needed to clean the house, so I popped in my lovely ear buds and mopped and dusted and vacuumed my little heart out while Diana Gabaldon talked to me about her books and the characters in her books and how her books come to be. I’ve never enjoyed cleaning my house quite so much and I highly recommend podcasts.

I’ve got some by John Cleese to clean with next week!!

By the way, I never did make it to the gym, but I have started running again. It feels so good. Donna Downey actually inspired me to get back out there. And this book by John Bingham. I may try listening to a podcast on a run one of these days, but right now my inspiration comes from It’s a Good Day by Will.i.am and Proud by Heather Small. This song is speaking to me right now, too. It's too bad I can't feel as proud of a Canadian politician as I do of an American one.

Have a great weekend. Leave me a comment, would ya?

No comments: