Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Running again.

Today I ran. Outside. I haven’t run outside in such a long time and it felt so good. I think I probably did as much walking as running but with 8C temperatures, why would I go to the gym?

There was a time when I ran outside religiously 3 times a week. I even managed to run 10K. Wow. I wish I could get there again. It’s the only time in my life when I’ve been able to lose weight and actually keep it off. I had a few injuries that stopped me from running and once you stop, it is so hard to get back there again. It’s a nasty cycle. You stop running, the weight comes back and it gets harder to run. Harder from a cardio perspective but also harder on your body. Sometimes my knees and hips ached so much I couldn’t bear the thought of running.

Today, although it is warm, it is a particularly dreary day. I love dreary days, especially for running. I wonder what that says about me? Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the sun. Especially the way it was earlier this week. Something about a sunny day in the middle of winter helps to lift the spirits and reminds us that spring is coming. But for running, gray is better. No sun beating down on my head making me hot and getting in my eyes making it hard to see.

This was the view looking up my street.



Dreary, huh? Yet, beautiful at the same time.

Lots of fog in the background that made me feel like I was running in my own private world. I loved it. Remind me of that the next time I’m complaining about it, okay?

Over the past few weeks I’ve been making a real effort to get to the gym and run on the treadmill. The amounts of snow and extreme cold temperatures have made it very hard to run outside. Also, I’ve discovered if I run inside on a treadmill with a TV attached I can watch ‘The View’ or ‘Regis and Kelly’! While I’m not normally a person who watches those show, I do find it makes the run so much easier. I hardly notice the time go by.

My goal? To be able to run in the OTMH 5K in June. It’s on Father’s Day. I’d also like to be able to run 10K again. I’m not setting myself a weight loss goal. That’s not foremost in my mind right now. As long as I’m healthy and able to run, the rest will come.

Eleanor Rossevelt said “ You must do the thing, you think you cannot do.” Words to live by, my friends.

Now, I need to shower.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

way to go on your goals! I've never been able to run. I really admire those of you who can and who do the big runs.

Anonymous said...

I somehow have the feeling this one is also for me - aching knees and ankles and back sounds just like me for the past 6 mths! I don't aspire to running tho', just to dance again this year. Good luck to us both! The dreary photo is really lovely - those days have their own charm. Have you considered a move to BC, where they exist in abundance?!