Monday, July 12, 2010

Manic Monday

These questions are taken from the Manic Monday meme. If you'd like to participate you can find it here.

Has reading a book ever changed your life? Which one and why if yes?


I’m not a big reader of self help books or really deep philosophical books. My preference is to read for purely entertainment purposes. I’ve read a few that have made me change the way I think about my life. And a few that certainly make me appreciate all that I have and how truly easy my life is. For the most part though, books change my life when they whisk me away to another time or another place and I find myself neglecting my day to day tasks in order to sit down and spend my time with the characters in my books instead. Anything by Diana Gabaldon or Jodi Picoult does this to me. Books truly are my escape and I wouldn’t cope as well without them.

Name one book you had to read but hated and explain why you hated it.

I’m sure there were many of these during high school and university. Beowolf would certainly be up there, but I seem to have blocked most of them from my memory. I know there have been books that I’ve been compelled to finish even though I really wasn’t enjoying them. I find though that as I get older I have less and less patience for reading things that don’t truly captivate me. There are too many books out there to waste my time reading something I don’t absolutely love.

If you could pick a book you’ve read to make into a movie, which one would you choose?

I frequently read a book and think ‘this would make an awesome movie’ (most recently - Weird Sister by Kate Pullinger) but I do find that most often, making a book into a really good movie is a difficult thing to do. Quite often the story line gets altered slightly or the actors chosen don’t always correspond to my vision of what that character was like. I guess for me, if I really enjoy a book, I’d rather it not be made into a movie. I’d rather keep it in my memory the way I enjoyed reading it.

Have a great Monday!!

No comments: